What is the name of your company?
What exactly does your company do?
Ignites individuals and organizations with the skills and motivation to embrace change through keynote speaking, training, consulting and products.
When did you start this company?
To help people SHED! To help people let go of whatever is holding them back physically, mentally, spiritually. At work, at home. People have a tendency to get stuck and need skills to help overcome resistance and embrace change. Shed or You’re Dead is our Philosophy
What was the process like? Help us understand what it is like for a nurse to start their own business
I joined the National Speakers Association. I hired a business coach and developed a business plan. I paid off all my debts and saved 2 years worth of living expenses before I started.
What has the hardest thing been in starting your business?
Shedding my secure job with all my benefits at the hospital and going out on my own.
What has been the most rewarding thing about starting your business?
Seeing people SHED and their lives transform.
What would you say are the three most important resources for a nurse who wants to start their own business?
1. A mentor
2. A plan
3. Strong desire- passion, support, money in the bank to live off of for the first two years.
Do you have any success stories to share?
I was the first healthcare worker to be diagnosed HIV positive back in the mid 80s. It was a death sentence then. We didn’t wear gloves. I was an ER/trauma nurse. I was taking off my job, my friends and church rejected me. I ended up in a hotel parking lot in my car with a bottle of pills in my hand and I was going to end it all. A woman knocked on my car door window and stopped me and got me through the night. 3 months later all the test results come back negative. After multiple positive and confirmatory test. It was my wake up call! This has become my signature story when I speak. People vicariously live that story through me and they walk out different. Making decisions to SHED.
Do you have any unfortunate stories?
It’s a roller coaster ride. Be prepared for anything. Live way, way below your means.
What do you want other nurses to take away from this interview?
We in healthcare counsel people to take care of themselves in yet we as nurses often time don’t heed our own advice. We take care of everyone else first. My mantra is SHED or YOU’RE DEAD!
Are you currently making six figures?
Yes, I am. Well into 6 figures. Have 6 people on our Keep Shedding! Inc team. My product sales alone are an average nurses salary.
About Kathy B. Dempsey RN, MED, CSP, President, Keep Shedding! Inc. & Founder of The Shedding Revolution.
As a former hospital executive, she strategically led Memorial Health Care System’s organizational development efforts to become one of top 100 hospitals in America. Her most popular book, Shed or You’re Dead®: 31 Unconventional Strategies for Growth and Change is the recipient of a Writer’s Digest International Book Award.
Kathy Dempsey knows change…
Kathy has inspired thousands of people to SHED in places around the world including Europe, Canada, Africa, Mexico and across the United States.
Her presentations reach far beyond that experience, to build a touchstone with each member of the audience. Her dramatic account provides focus, inspiration and practical tools for people to lead and master change in their personal and professional lives.
•Author of Shed or You’re Dead®: 31 Unconventional Strategies for Growth and Change.
• Awarded with Writer’s Digest International Book Award for Shed or You’re Dead®.
• Author of Shed or You’re Dead Survival Guides (Healthcare Professionals, Employee and Manager versions)
• Contributing author for two of the NY Times Best Selling Chicken Soup for the Soul books.
• Voted Showcase Speaker of the Year for the Georgia Speakers Association (GSA).
• Voted into Top 10 Finalists North America’s Next Greatest Speaker.
• Named Trainer of the Year, Bob Pike’s Creative Training Techniques International.
• Led Memorial Health Care System’s strategic organizational development efforts to become one of the Top 100 Hospitals in America.
• Awarded Master of Influence Award for her work with the National Speakers Association (NSA), Georgia Chapter.
• Honored with Leadership Award, National Speaker Association, Philadelphia Chapter.
• Past President, National Speaker Association, Philadelphia Chapter.
• Active member of the National Speakers Association (NSA), the American Society of Training and Development (ASTD), and has served on the board of the Georgia Speakers Association (GSA).
• Founder of The Keep Shedding Educational Foundation 501(c)(3) which sends African AIDS orphans to school.
• Achieved the highest earned speaker’s designation in the world, the Certified Speaking Professional (CSP). (Held by less than 10 percent of speakers worldwide.)